How To Take Care Of The Air Compressors?
Air compressors are similar to industrial pumps in many ways. While pumps are used to pressurize liquids like water and oil, industrial air compressor are for air and gas pressurization. It is a device that can use either an electric motor or diesel engine and convert power to potential energy in the stored pressurized air.
There are many roles that can be satisfied by the air compressors in both homes and business sectors.
Types of air compressors:
Air compressors are categorized based on their internal mechanisms into two main types positive displacement and dynamic displacement. There are four main types of air compressors available.
- Rotary Screw Compressor
This is powerful when compared to the reciprocating types of industrial air compressor. They are for heavy-duty applications that are in need of pressurized air.
- Reciprocating Air Compressor
These are the most commonly seen air compressor variety in small and medium businesses. They are loud and not that efficient.
- Axial Compressor
These types of air compressors are used in high-speed engines on ships and planes. They are expensive out of all other types available.
- Centrifugal Compressor
These compressors slow the incoming air cooling it down through a diffuser for increasing the potential energy of the air. There is no need for more maintenance of this type.
Maintenance of Industrial Air Compressor:
The air compressors will be costly when they get downtime or emergency repairs. To stop them from getting breakdowns it is better to properly maintain them beforehand.
Tips that can help in maintaining air compressors include
- It is advised to check the air filters weekly and remove any dust or debris from them. The air filters in the industrial air compressor should be changed every 1000 hours.
- The oil filter present in that should be changed every 1000 hours.
- It is necessary to check the lubricant daily. They should change the lubricants every 4000 to 8000 hours.
- They should make sure to grease the motor bearings every 2000 hours.
- There will be wear and tension inside the belts and hence they have to be checked every week and adjusted accordingly.
- The intake vents have to be checked weekly and cleaned as needed.
- These checks have to be performed daily, weekly, monthly, and Quarterly depending on the type of check that is being performed.
- It is better to check all the bolts to make sure they are tight enough.
Benefits of doing regular maintenance and inspections
- If there are regular inspections there is a chance of avoiding the downtime.
- Money will be saved as there will not be any emergency repairs.
- The energy costs will be very less.
- The air compressor will stay active and working for more years and the efficiency will also be increased.
Regularly inspecting the air compressors is very essential. There are a few areas that are to be checked every now and then. The temperature, pressure, voltage, amperage, oil levels of the system are to be checked regularly.
If checking by themself feels like a hectic task or they are not sure about it, they can even go for a compressed air audit that is performed by professionals.